1,200 Acres of Woodland
The forestry assets of the Leys Estate Group can be split in to two distinct types, commercial forestry (800 acres) and amenity woodland (circa 600 acres). The sporting, recreational and agricultural activities of the estate overlay both of these types of woodland and influence how both are managed i.e. not all forestry policies, decisions and activity are purely forestry driven.
The forestry resource is managed within a 20 year Forest Management Plan (FMP) from 2015 to 2035 which has been agreed with Forestry Commission Scotland (FCS). This FMP sets out the values and principles that the Group’s woodland assets are going to be managed over this 20 year period which is sub-divided into distinct 5 year plan periods.
These values and management objectives are guided by Scottish Government Forestry Policy and therefore aim to deliver National Forestry objectives. You can read more about the Scottish Government Forestry Policy here.
Firewood Delivered Direct To Your Door
If you live in the Banchory area, Leys Estate can deliver firewood direct to your door. Our firewood is produced on the estate meaning it is a truly locally sourced resource.
Logs are delivered by our team, to your door, and loose tipped from our delivery vehicles. Please ensure you have a suitable, safe area for our team to unload the firewood.
Our wood is air dried to 18-25% prior to sale meaning it can be used as soon as it is delivered to you. Deliveries can be made up of hard or soft wood, or a mixed loads, and are approximately 3.5 cubic metre.
Delivery is available within a 15 mile radius of Banchory. Unfortunately it’s not always possible to delivery out with this area, but please contact us as we may be able to help.
Keep your real fire, log burner or stove fuelled this winter by calling 01330 826506 or emailing [email protected]
- Management philosophy of continuous cover by way of thinning and natural regeneration as opposed to clear-fell and re-planting
- Re-structure the age profile of the commercial woodlands from single age to multi-age woods
- Ensure the most appropriate tree species is cultivated for the prevailing ground and other environmental conditions of each site
- Manage the woodlands in an environmentally sensitive way to avoid excessive ground damage and to reduce disturbance of habitats, wildlife and watercourses
- Deer management policy to assist continuous cover philosophy
- Forestry work carried out to UKWAS standards
- Effective management of non-commercial/amenity woodlands
- Offer small woodland leases to local interested parties
- Where appropriate consider additional diversified uses of commercial and amenity woodland areas and products
- Facilitate woodland recreation or other activity where appropriate but avoiding sensitive areas
- Robust Tree Safety and Monitoring Policy
We work with the Scottish Wood Lot Association to make it possible for people in the local area to lease a small plot of woodland on the estate. This includes working with schools in Banchory and Crathes to provide the opportunity for outdoor classrooms and adventures.
Woodlot licences are a great way of involving local families in forest management and tenure. Tenants can access and utilise their own plot, extracting timber for their own use (firewood) and using the area for recreation with the aim of growing sustainable small-scale forestry.
If you are interested in this please visit the Scottish Wood Lot Association website by clicking the button below.